Collingham Memorial Hall
In 1919 The Lady Betty Hastings Trustees agreed to sell land to “Parishioners of Collingham desirous of erecting a permanent memorial in lasting memory of those parishioners who died for their King and Country”.
A Memorial Hall Committee bought 1.04 acres of land and a barn in Brewton Garth for £150. Mr. Waddington built the Hall to a design of the architect Mr. W. A. Jones, which incorporated the original barn into the building. The completed building cost £1,528 (raised by public subscription) and was opened on 14th February 1920 by Mrs. Wheler, wife of Lt. Col. G. H. Wheler of Ledston Hall. Mrs.Wheler was a direct descendent of Lady Betty Hastings.
The hall has since been enlarged including the addition of the Green Room, designed by Mr. K. A. Jones, son of the first architect. In 1994 when the village won the ‘Best Kept Village in West Yorkshire’ competition the jury reported that the Hall was by far the best village hall visited.
As part of the Centenary Celebrations the Hall had extensive renovations and upgrades to all its facilities during 2019 in preparation for it's one hundredth birthday in February 2020.
The Hall Today
The Hall is used for all kinds of meetings, by many village clubs, societies and individuals and outside organisations.
Most income is obtained through letting rooms. Charges are kept low so that the Hall is accessible to all village activities and, in most years, expenditure balances income.
The ownership is vested in five trustees, but is run by a management committee with a caretaker and booking secretary. The Committee is elected at the Annual General Meeting in January which is open to all Collingham residents. There are bowling and snooker clubs on the premises, though these are managed individually, paying rent to the Hall.